Advanced Fingerprint Distortion (03/31/21)
Mar 31, 2021
Out of stock
Enter the number of attendees in the quantity field and click “Add to cart”. At Checkout, you will be prompted for Billing information and the webinar Attendee information.
Click here to print or download webinar details: Advanced Distortion Mar 2021
Instructor: Alice White
This webinar is adapted from elements of the Analysis of Distortion in Latent Prints workshop that Alice has taught since 2006. In this course Alice will introduce the anatomical structures of the finger that influence the behavior of the friction ridge skin when it moves on a surface.
After reviewing basic concepts and terminology in contact mechanics, attendees will learn how the skin behaves under four different types of shearing stress. For each type of shearing stress, the attendee will be able to view videos of the skin deforming as it slides on the surface and the resulting latent print.
In some of the most complicated samples, Alice will demonstrate what happens when shearing stress is accompanied by changes in compressive stress or angle of contact. The possible risks of treating these impressions “as one impression” will be discussed and examples provided.
Important lessons from this webinar include 1) sources of missing or false minutiae and 2) how the effects of shearing stress lead to incorrect interpretation of deposition pressure.
- The attendee will be able to list the main anatomical structures of the finger.
- The attendee will be able to define elastic deformation.
- The attendee will be able to describe how deposition pressure affects center of ridge to center of ridge measurements.
- The attendee will be able to recognize the elements of shearing stress in latent fingerprints.
- The attendee will be able to recognize the direction of shearing stress in latent fingerprints.
- The attendee will be able to define stick region, incipient slip, and gross slip.
- The attendee will be able to describe how shearing stress affects center of ridge to center of ridge measurements.
- The attendee will be able to explain how compression wrinkles can be induced in friction ridge skin.
- The attendee will be able to recognize misaligned ridges in latent fingerprints.
Course Handout: Prior to the webinar (typically 1 – 2 days) you will receive an email link to a file or folder to download the handout and any relevant supplemental information. The main course handout can also be downloaded from the webinar platform at the time of the webinar.
Assessing Learning Outcomes (a.k.a. Quiz)
In order to verify the learning outcomes have been achieved, there is a 20 question quiz via SurveyMonkey at the end of each webinar. Attendees must score a minimum of 70% on the quiz in order to receive a training certificate for the webinar. Please note the quizzes are open-book and poll questions are given during the webinar to prepare attendees for the quiz.
This webinar may only be attended by the person who is registered for the webinar. Evolve Forensics does not permit broadcasting, watching, listening, or distributing the webinar or any of the webinar handouts to individuals who are not registered for this webinar.
Attendees must be able to access the following websites in order to participate:
Webinar Platform: GoToWebinar
Test Platform: SurveyMonkey
The following YouTube Video shows how to use GoToWebinar as an attendee: https://youtu.be/IQ3Xwwgbd8Y
Please contact Alice White via email at Alice@EvolveForensics.com