Beyond Discriminating Power of Friction Ridge Arrangements – Applying What You Learned (07/20/21)
Jul 20, 2021
Out of stock
Enter the number of attendees in the quantity field and click “Add to cart”. At Checkout, you will be prompted for Billing information and the webinar Attendee information.
Click here to print or download webinar details: Beyond Discriminating July 2021
Instructor: Dr. Glenn Langenburg
In this webinar, attendees will apply the fundamental concepts highlighted in “Discriminating Power of Friction Ridge Arrangements”. Participants will have a chance to analyze latent prints and guesstimate specificity using their ‘training and experience’ factor (e.g., ‘subjective probability’). Then we will compare our predicted results to output results from a statistical model that uses an AFIS database (approximately 1 million fingerprints) to estimate the relative specificity for given configurations.
Course Pre-Requisites: It is helpful, but not required, to attend Discriminating Power of Friction Ridge Arrangements (taught by Alice White). You do not need to know anything about statistics, statistical models, or probability theory. We will touch on these topics, but in a very practical and understandable manner, and as they relate to demonstrating the learning outcomes.
- The attendee will be able to list the significant research on this topic.
- The attendee will be able to define the concept of specificity.
- The attendee will be able to describe how developmentally stable features and developmentally ‘noisy’ features directly impact the specificity of the characteristics.
- The attendee will be able to demonstrate how specificity relates to ‘suitability’ and ‘sufficiency’ determinations.
- The attendee will understand how the specificity of minutiae arrangements, and not the number of minutiae, is the critical factor for determining ‘suitability’ and ‘sufficiency’.
- The attendee will be able to recognize how different regions of the fingers/palms can influence minutiae densities, orientation, and arrangements.
- The attendee will be able to predict the relative specificity of various clusters of minutiae, based on region of the finger, orientation, type of minutiae, and spatial relationships.
- The attendee will be able to recognize factors in close non-matches that can lead to errors.
- The attendee will be able to list steps that can be taken to minimize error when using AFIS.
Post-Course: There will be an opportunity to have a few post-course exercises on your own. Glenn will set up ‘office hours’ where participants may come and discuss, receive feedback, learn ground truth, etc.
Course Handout: You will receive an email link several days before class to download the handouts and images. This will give you an opportunity to come to the webinar with the exercises already prepared and we can discuss as a group. The pre-course work may take about an hour to review. If you are unable to download or work the exercises in time, you can still participate in the webinar, but you will have less time to review the exercises in real time.
Assessing Learning Outcomes (a.k.a Quiz): In order to verify the learning outcomes have been achieved, there is a 20-question quiz via SurveyMonkey at the end of each webinar. Attendees must score a minimum of 70% in order to receive a training certificate for the webinar. Please note quizzes are open-book and poll questions are given during the webinar to prepare attendees for the quiz.
Attendance Policy: This webinar may only be attended by the person registered for the webinar. Evolve Forensics does not permit broadcasting, watching, listening, or distributing the webinar or any of the webinar handouts to individuals who are not registered for this webinar.
Software Requirements: Attendees must be able to access GoToWebinar (webinar platform) and SurveyMonkey (quiz platform) in order to participate.
The following YouTube Video shows how to use GoToWebinar as an attendee: https://youtu.be/IQ3Xwwgbd8Y
For questions regarding the course content, please contact Glenn Langenburg via email Glenn@EliteForensicServices.com
For questions regarding registration and payment, please contact Alice White via email Alice@EvolveForensics.com